Pepper Board

Pepper Board

Monday, March 9, 2015

Raw Veggies ~ Not As Good As You Think


Eating raw veggies in juice cocktail mixes and smoothies are all the rage. However, for me, most of the rage in my digestive system is often the result of eating raw veggies in either salads, juices or smoothies. The cruciferous vegetable such as: arugula, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, turnip, collard greens, bok choy, brussels sprouts, radish, rutabaga, and watercress should be cooked before eating.


So, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news,... cruciferous vegetables should be cooked  as they contain chemicals that block the production of thyroid hormone in your body! Considering that 2 out of every 3 Westerners are either overweight or obese and this is projected to jump to 75% by 2020, this is of particular importance as folks struggling with weight usually suffer from borderline to full blown hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid hormone, so someone suffering from this condition surely does not want to be eating foods that will block what little thyroid hormone is being produced in the first place!

For me personally, such raw veggies bother my stomach and intestinal system causing bloating and gas.  I also have a problem with eating raw spinach and radishes and onion. What can I say? My mother always told me, you are not a rabbit. As an adult, I now understand her wisdom.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/think-raw-veggies-are-best-think-again/

No comments:

Post a Comment